Wednesday, March 23, 2011

Too Much Information

I tend to be a bit of a hypochondriac. A sudden pain anywhere and I begin to plan my funeral. The other day I experienced a very severe pain in my head. Not a headache, but an intensely sharp, nearly blinding pain. I knew, as sure as I was standing there, that I had a ruptured aneurism! I stared at myself in the mirror waiting to see blood seep from my eyes, ears and nose. Then just as quickly the pain stopped. And it has been 2 days and I am still here. False alarm.


Given that fact, it amazes me that I am not overly concerned with germs.  I don't use the wipes provided by the grocery stores to clean off the shopping cart handles.  I don't use disinfectant sprays on the telephone after it has been used by someone else. Hell, I don't even reach for the alcohol based, antibacterial, no water needed hand sanitizer after shaking someones hand! I know what you're thinking...."She's a gal that likes to live on the edge!"


However, I don't want to discuss germs, especially somebody else's. 


A simple "How are you?" no longer receives "Fine thanks, and you?" as a response. I asked this of a customer the other day, a person that I don't know, and was told that this was the first day in three weeks that she has not thrown up. REALLY? Did I want to know this? Did I need to know this? As I stood there dumbfounded she continued...."It started with me, I brought home a germ and haven't been able to keep anything down since. I gave it to my husband who is still unable to go ten minutes without vomiting! He in turn gave it to our children. Not only have they been tossing their cookies but they have diarrhea too! And the twins are still in diapers...what a mess!" 


Keep in mind that this woman is standing a mere foot or so from me, breathing on me. I could feel the germs entering my body with every word she spoke. I couldn't think of anything but the possible incubation period of this dreaded disease, and will my doctor order me anti-emetics over the phone.


We concluded our business and I sent her on her way. 


It has been a week since then and how am I? Haven't up-chucked yet but I am sure I have kidney stones!



1 Comments:

At March 23, 2011 at 12:44 PM , Blogger dplanet said...

For a "hypochondriac" you sure are a contradiction! Never use any disinfectants...Then you get VISUAL and tell us about the woman whose family sounds like they have dysentery! Now I know why you said this story was a bit gross!(sic) and SICK! understatement!

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home